This list of core resources has been compiled by the CAE Commission to reflect a sample of literature that is aligned with the CAE Exam Content Outline and would be useful in preparing to be a chief staff executive or preparing to earn the CAE. The list is reviewed and recent references may be added periodically.
While these resources are not required reading and should not be interpreted as constituting the sole source of all CAE exam questions, candidates may find them useful when preparing for the exam. Each candidate should develop his or her own personal reading list and study plan based on individual needs and knowledge.
- Professional Practices in Association Management, 4th Edition (print or digital)
- Association Law Handbook, 6th edition (print or digital)
- Membership Essentials: Recruitment, Retention, Roles, Responsibilities, and Resources, 2nd Edition (print or digital)
- ASAE ForesightWorks User’s Guide (print or digital)
- How to Read Nonprofit Financial Statements, 3rd edition (print or digital)
- The Jossey-Bass Handbook of Nonprofit Leadership and Management, 4th Edition (print or digital)
In addition to the core resources, CAE exam items can be referenced to any ASAE-curated knowledge—defined as information published or disseminated by ASAE, such as books sold in the bookstore or articles published in Associations Now or newsletters.