WASHINGTON— ASAE has opened the call for association professionals and industry partners to fill open positions on the ASAE and the ASAE Research Foundation Board of Directors to help lead the association dedicated to furthering the profession of association management.
“Serving as an ASAE board member is a personally and professionally rewarding experience for accomplished industry leaders, and this happens to be a pivotal time of growth and development for our professional society,” said Patricia Blake, FASAE, CAE, CEO of the Heart Rhythm Society and immediate past chair of the ASAE Board. “ASAE’s volunteer leadership will have a critical role in furthering ASAE’s three-year strategic plan and shaping the direction and culture of this storied organization. I highly encourage my colleagues who have an interest in lending governance to ASAE to apply themselves or nominate a fellow leader for service on the ASAE or ASAE Research Foundation Board of Directors.”
ASAE and the ASAE Research Foundation value and seek diverse leadership as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, appearance, geographic location, and professional level. It seeks leaders from all types and sizes of eligible organizations.
Interested parties should contact Rebecca Hawk at email@example.com. Nominations must be received no later than April 23, 2021.
There are many benefits of serving as a volunteer leader, including:
- A significant role in advancing the profession;
- An opportunity to enhance the value of ASAE and the ASAE Research Foundation to the association community;
- An opportunity to help lead ASAE through its recently launched 3-year strategy;
- Access to up-to-date information about the challenges facing your profession; and
- The chance to exchange ideas and perspectives with other volunteer leaders
The Leadership Committee has identified a number of desired attributes that will be part of the selection process for new Board members. Applicants should possess:
- Demonstrated leadership commitment and involvement with ASAE and the ASAE Research Foundation Examples include but are not limited to service on an ASAE and ASAE Research Foundation committee, section council, commission, or task force; and obtained the CAE credential.
- Leader in the nonprofit and association communities with a strong understanding of association CEOs and C-suite leaders. Examples include but are not limited to: serving as the chair of an Allied Society, serving on the board of an association, or leading a committee, council, commission, or task force of an association or philanthropic organization.
- Commitment to ethics, diversity, equity, inclusion, and civility. ASAE’s culture and strategy is built on the expectation of continual dedication to these values and behaviors, and board members should act as models of these traits within the association community. Relevant expertise in the disciplines of organizational management. ASAE seeks to create a board with diverse areas of expertise and experience (for example, fundraising, component relations, finance, international community-building, and strategic alliances and partnerships), but is paying special attention to experience and expertise in advocacy and government relations.
- Commitment to participate in 3-4 board meetings a year (board meeting schedule is outlined below). ASAE board members are asked to provide financial support to Annual Giving, APAC, Power of A, special events and/or campaigns.
- Positive leadership attributes including emotional intelligence; the ability to work collaboratively; proactive and forward-thinking leadership; and the ability to engage in appropriate debate and discussion when needed.
- Visionary and strategic thinker. Demonstrated ability in overseeing new and innovative programs within the candidate’s sphere of influence. Examples include but are not limited to: implementing and incorporating strategy, leadership, future focus, risk-taking, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
MEDIA CONTACT: Chris Vest, CAE, 202-626-2798, firstname.lastname@example.org
ASAE is a membership organization of more than 48,000 association executives and industry partners representing 7,400 organizations. Since it was established 100 years ago, its members have and continue to lead, manage, and work in or partner with organizations in more than a dozen association management disciplines, from executive management to finance to technology. With the support of the ASAE Research Foundation, a separate nonprofit entity, ASAE is the premier source of learning, knowledge, and future-oriented research for the association and nonprofit profession and provides resources, education, ideas, and advocacy to enhance the power and performance of the association and nonprofit community. Visit ASAE at asaecenter.org.