- Cover Story: Accelerating Engagement Online and Beyond
By: C. David Gammel, CAE Member engagement is the fuel associations use to reach toward their mission, but many organizations are unsure how to tap into that vital resource. Learn how to accelerate member engagement with programs and opportunities that build on one another for ever-increasing value to both your members and your association.
- Ignite Industry Innovation With a Competition
By: Lauren Kelley An attractive prize—cash, recognition, or even just bragging rights—could jumpstart innovation in your industry. Learn from several associations that have tapped into their communities' competitive spirit with innovation competitions. The rules vary, but the results are the same: the best ideas win.
- Listen, Then Lead
By: Interview by Samantha Whitehorne Conductor Roger Nierenberg says if leaders want to take their organizations into the future, not only do they have to listen to what's going on around them, but they also have to make sure everyone's hearing what the leader hears.
- Is Your Association TV-Ready?
By: Mark Athitakis A TV appearance can give your association instant visibility. But if the show doesn't appeal to the kind of viewers you actually want to attract, your 15 minutes of fame will likely be 15 minutes wasted. Here are some tips on what to think about before going on camera.
- How to Become a Promotable Professional
By: Jeffrey Cufaude It's a challenging time to grow your career, but with the right approach, you can get ahead in today's workplace. Consider this advice from association leaders to help position yourself as a promotable professional.
- Trade Up Your Tradeshow Model
By: Nancy Mann Jackson Looking for the next big thing in tradeshows? It may be closer than you think. Associations that have found success with new and different tradeshow models share what they’re doing and how it works for them.
- Reach Out to Members When it Matters Most
By: Martin Sirk You'll never command 24/7/365 attention from your members, so why do so many associations try to engage with members every single day of the year?
- Picture This: Free Photography for Your Publication
Partnering with a group similar to your own can mean big savings overall.
- More Advice for Aspiring Professionals
Following is advice from 11 association professionals on how being promotable. For more on being a promotable professional, read "How to Become a Promotable Professional" by Jeffrey Cufaude in the May 2010 issue of Associations Now.
- The Volunteer Dating Game
By: Marley Rave, Amy Sherwood, Jessica Soklow, and Kim Woods Six tips for getting your relationship with volunteers started off on the right foot.
- Use a Crisis to Change Your Organization
By: Kristin Clarke, CAE Management expert Bill George explains how association leaders can succeed under pressure.
- Staff Motivation Secrets
By: Kristin Clarke, CAE Three inexpensive ideas you can use to raise staff morale today.
- The Favorites Game: Bob Nelson
By: Interview by Kristin Clarke, CAE Author and workplace consultant Bob Nelson shares his favorite productivity boosters
- New Revenue Plus Member Satisfaction Equals a Win/Win
By: Andrew S. Lang How the Marble Institute of America took a nondues revenue stream from $0 to $25,000 in a single year.
- 10 Legal Guidelines for Accreditation, Certification, and Standard Setting Programs
By: Jack R. Bierig Legal rules to live by when launching standard-setting programs for your profession or industry.
- Evaluating Potential Partnerships: A Checklist
By: Nancy Urbanowicz, CAE Not sure if a proposed partnership is right for you? Try the Academy of Management's checklist.
- Marketing Copy That Compels
By: Samantha Whitehorne Perk up your marketing copy with personal stories that are meaningful to your audience.
- Are Productive Employees Allowed to Behave Badly?
New research shows that many organizations give productive employees more leeway for bad behavior.
- Rebuild Your Communications Style
By: John H. Cox and Anne E. Collier A before-and-after look at how one executive revamped his communications methods.
- Video Resources on a Shoestring Budget
By: Steven R. Jones How the Association of Cable Communicators found cost-effective ways to deliver members the professional development opportunities they wanted.
- CEO to CEO: Decision Changes and Healthcare Costs
Changing your mind at work and managing employee healthcare costs.
- Social Media and Money: A Pre-Annual Meeting Chat
By: Lindy Dreyer, Sarah Sears, and Steve Drake Three association professionals discuss how an association can use social media to raise funds without alienating its members.
- Smart Moves
A roundup of new hires and personnel announcements in the association industry.
- Knowledge Center FAQs: Office Moves
Relocating your office? Find out how to make your move trouble-free.
- Card Sorting: Stacking the Deck for Better Navigation
Card sorting during a website redesign can save users' time in the long run.
- Partner Corner: Managing Energy Costs and Efficiencies
By: Kathy Kiernan Find out how to raise member awareness about energy efficiency and solutions.
- Mentoring Relationships 101: How to be a Great Mentor
Ready to be a mentor? Here are 14 tips to make the most of your mentorship.
- Readers' Comments
Readers share their views on recent Associations Now articles.