Exceptional Boards is an intensive workshop for CEOs and elected board and committee officers. The program fosters effective governance and optimizes the effectiveness of the entire board as a cohesive unit through best practices in board organization, structure, and operations. Discover the insight and resources you need to build a high-performing board that understands its role, fulfills its responsibility, demonstrates visionary leadership, and leads the organization to new heights.
Beyond tapping the knowledge and expertise of the program facilitators, you'll connect with colleagues as you engage in sustained team discussions. CEOs and elected officers will:
- develop strategies to build a cohesive board
- analyze the board’s key governing functions and primary responsibilities
- use effective management principles in orientation/onboarding, communicating, managing conflict, and structuring board meetings
- understand implications of associations’ maturity lifecycle
- evaluate implications of different types of boards (operational, strategic, generative) and management models
- navigate emerging trends and common governance challenges
- Examine legal duties of the board and board members and reinforce accountability for fiduciary responsibilities
- create a leadership team action plan using assessment and analysis
- leverage characteristics and habits of high-performing boards and avoid common board dysfunctions
- enhance the process of decision making and decision quality using future-focused foresight to anticipate change and set strategic direction.
The two-day program is led by Mary M. Byers, CAE, and Mark T. Engle, D.M., FASAE, CAE, consultants with extensive experience as association CEOs, board leaders, and governance and management professionals.
Exceptional Boards is held several times a year at locations around the country. For dates and other details, search for “Exceptional Boards” on the event calendar.
Who Should Attend
Leaders from trade, professional, credentialing, and philanthropic associations are encouraged to attend, including the following:
- CEOs and executive directors
- current or incoming board chairs and presidents
- board executive committees and officers
- board committees and board members at large
- chief operating officers and C-suite staff who work with board members
You must register with at least one volunteer leader to attend this program. Volunteer leaders may register at the ASAE member rate.
- ASAE members: $995
- Volunteer leaders: $995
- Nonmembers: $1,195
For more information, contact [email protected].