ASAE's Association Management Press
Association Management Press, ASAE's publishing arm, advances the mission of the ASAE Foundation and ASAE by publishing relevant and reliable publications, digital products, and other resources based in research and effective professional practices. A primary purpose of Association Management Press is to publish and disseminate the research that is produced and supported by the ASAE Foundation. Resulting resources include these and numerous others:
- What Makes High-Performing Boards: Effective Governance Practices in Member-Serving Organization ( Beth Gazley, PhD & Ashley Bowers) Nonprofit CEOs and executive directors from 1,585 member-serving organizations were surveyed about their organizational environment, board structure, board selection procedures and challenges, governance models they employ, board development and self-assessment, and a host of other questions related to the governance practices of their organization. The results will help you understand patterns of related behavior within organizations that support high board performance and that are intentional and not dependent on industry sector or capacity.
- The Informed Association: A Practical Guide to Using Research for Results (Sarah Slater, MS & Sharon Moss, PhD, CRA, CAE) will help you understand the importance of data-based decision making and the limitations of the data; making it more important than ever to know what the right questions are to ask and how to gather data in a way that will be meaningful and useful.
- The Art of Membership provides the framework and knowledge to create and customize a solid membership strategy no matter what size your organization is or which industry or sector it serves. Sheri Jacobs is generously donating royalties to the ASAE Foundation.
- Association Compensation and Benefits Studies, compiling data on salary
levels and employee benefits for 75 executive-level and administrative positions
in trade associations and individual membership organizations throughout the
The ASAE Association Compensation & Benefits Study Survey for 2014-2015 is now open! If you’re the CEO or an HR Professional all you have to do is complete your 2014 survey. By providing your data you’ll get a discount on the ASAE Association Compensation & Benefits Study, 2014-2015 when it comes out in June, plus you’ll receive an exclusive report with data analysis on 5 different positions. The biggest benefit of all, when you sign up for the Association Compensation Interactive Tool, you’ll be able to compare and contrast your results against the benchmarks based on size, revenue, geography, and more! To get involved in this year’s survey please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Environmental Scanning for Associations (James Dalton , Alan Balkema), focusing on insight into how to do environmental scanning continuously and well.
- The "Decision to…" Series, deepening our understanding of what motivates individuals' decisions to join, volunteer, give, and learn.
- 10 Lessons for Cultivating Member Commitment: Critical Strategies for Fostering Value, Involvement, and Belonging(James Dalton, Monica Dignam), drawing membership-strategy implications from key findings of a second ASAE Foundation "œDecision to" study of what factors go into an individual's membership decisions.
- ASAE Foundation Research Series Reports, delving into such areas as credentialing, board performance and assessment, and global strategy.
Association Management Press also publishes practice-based work supporting the association management profession in areas ranging from boards and governance to leadership to membership and beyond. Among those are the ASAE Busy Board Series, including: The Governing Board: Key Responsibilities for Boards and Board Members (Nancy R. Axelrod) and Fundraising Without Fear: A Board Member's Guide to Raising Money (Karla Taylor)"”and bestselling books such at Measures of Success, Race to Relevance, Road to Relevance, and The End of Membership as We Know It.
Association Management Press accomplishes some of its work through a strategic collaboration with Jossey-Bass, an imprint of Wiley, one of the largest and most influential publishing organizations in the world. In the works are The Art of Membership, by Sheri Jacobs (short form e-book in August 2013 and full-length book in February 2014) and professional handbooks designed to help a wide spectrum of association and nonprofit professionals work more effectively and advance their organizations
Association Management Press's products are all designed to support the ASAE's mission to help association and nonprofit executives and managers tackle their strategic and tactical challenges. Primary product categories are:
- Benchmarking and research supported by the ASAE Foundation
- Boards and volunteers
- Finance and operations
- Government relations
- Human resources
- Leadership and management
- Marketing and communication
- Meetings and conventions
- Technology and web