Nearly 500 association professionals are expected to participate in The Power of A Week, in person and online, ready to advance the association profession, equipped with research from the ASAE Foundation. A report based on a compilation of four different studies — ASAE 2011 Economic Survey, The Decision to Volunteer, a brand new Associations 990 Study and Convention Industry Council’s Economic Significance of Meetings to the U.S. Economy Study — will be distributed to Fly-In attendees on Tuesday. An advance copy is available to press and bloggers.
WASHINGTON—Nearly 500 association professionals are expected to participate in The Power of A Week, in person and online, ready to advance the association profession, equipped with research from the ASAE Foundation. A report based on a compilation of four different studies — ASAE 2011 Economic Survey, The Decision to Volunteer, a brand new Associations 990 Study and Convention Industry Council’s Economic Significance of Meetings to the U.S. Economy Study — will be distributed to Fly-In attendees on Tuesday. An advance copy is available to press and bloggers.
Associations and nonprofits tap the power of millions — those who are most knowledgeable and passionate about industries, professions and ideas. In virtually every business sector and industry across the country, associations mobilize millions to turn change into progress. The association community is leading the nation’s social progress and economic recovery.
“Associations keep America competitive, improve the economy, enrich lives and prepare for the future,” said ASAE President and CEO John H. Graham IV, CAE. “The research that will be distributed at the Fly-In on Tuesday clearly shows the vital impact of associations. As we come together this week during this crucial time, we prove our collective power and our support for the issues that matter most.”
- Associations Keep America Competitive: Associations employ more than 1.6 million people in all 50 states; 1.2% of the U.S. private sector workforce is association employees.
- Associations Improve the Economy: Associations are major contributors to the meetings industry, holding meetings and seminars across the country. The meetings industry accounts for 1.7 million jobs nationwide and generates $263 billion in spending, money that funds local and national economies.
- Associations Enrich Lives: Thirty percent of the people who volunteer their time do so through an association.
- Associations Prepare for the Future: Even in a down economy, association members are valuing their membership even more and finding even more benefits.
As a reminder, ASAE will hold the inaugural The Power of A Week to highlight the numerous ways associations are improving the economy and society. The highlight of the week, ASAE’s annual legislative Fly-in, this year will be accompanied by other events to show how associations are driving the economy and society. This new effort, which will take place March 28-April 1, will explore different elements of The Power of A campaign and allow participation from across the country:
- Tuesday, March 29: Fly-in participants will meet with The Power of A Committee Chairman Mark Golden, CAE and other speakers as they share how associations can use the campaign in their association management strategies. Tuesday will also feature the American Associations Day Reception, hosted by the ASAE Board of Directors at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill. More information is available here.
- Wednesday, March 30: Association leaders from more than 30 states will go to Capitol Hill to carry The Power of A message. More details on the event, as well as free registration, can be found here. The event is open to any association executive, staff member, or leadership volunteer passionate about association issues who wants to make a difference, as well as meet and network with fellow advocates from across the country. Those not able to participate in person will be able to contact their elected officials virtually.
- Thursday, March 31: ASAE will hold its first The Power of A Awards webinar, where associations can learn about the new awards and how to create a winning entry. Registration for the free webinar can be found here. The Associations Advance America Awards and the Associations Make a Better World Awards were recently combined to become The Power of A Awards to honor associations that exemplify how the association industry and professionals are essential to a stronger America and World.
- Friday, April 1: ASAE Career HQ will sponsor an association career event for those interested in learning about careers in associations and about the latest trends in association employment. More information is available here.
For more information, visit ThePowerofA.org.
MEDIA CONTACT: Jakub M. Konysz, 202-626-2831, firstname.lastname@example.org
ASAE is a membership organization of more than 22,000 association executives and industry partners representing more than 11,000 organizations. Its members manage leading trade associations, individual membership societies and voluntary organizations across the United States and in nearly 50 countries around the world. With support of the ASAE Foundation, a separate nonprofit entity, ASAE is the premier source of learning, knowledge and future-oriented research for the association and nonprofit profession, and provides resources, education, ideas and advocacy to enhance the power and performance of the association and nonprofit community. For more information about ASAE, visit www.asaecenter.org.