Nonprofit Governance | Internet & Communications | Business Travel | Advocacy and Free Speech | Health Care and Benefits | Nonprofit Finance and Tax Reform | Campaign Finance Reform | State and Local Association Issues
Welcome to the Associations Issues page, where you can find information on a number of legislative and regulatory issues impacting association management. Use the links above to navigate to specific issues, or check out our "Hot Off the Presses" section below to see what are the latest updates from the American Society of Association Executives. If you want to take action on any of these items or sign up for our notification emails, please visit our Association Advocacy Center to find out how. We would also encourage you to visit the Power of A campaign at www.thepowerofa.org.
Hot Off the Presses
Thank you to everyone who signed our 2,000+ signature letter to Capitol Hill and who have actively shared their stories and examples on the harm the provisions restricting federal meeting attendance would have on their organization. However, we still need your help to make a difference on this issue.
Since we sent the letter to Capitol Hill, ASAE, the U.S. Travel Association, and other associations have been visiting key Congressional offices to explain what the provisions mean and how it harms our meetings and conferences. Many offices understand our explanations, but misunderstood what the provisions said when the amendment passed very quickly prior to the Congressional recess. We are concerned that Congress could act and pass these provisions without understanding the implications, and so we need to conduct a major educational effort on what the provisions mean and why they need to be amended.
Here is how you can help:
- Using our template, send a personalized message to your members of Congress educating them on the provisions and what it would mean to your association.
- If your organization works with members of the Senate Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee AND/OR the House Oversight & Government Reform Committee, contact usto coordinate meeting with or contacting those offices to ensure these committees of jurisdiction understand the issue.
- Send your stories, anecdotes, and examples of how these provisions would impact your organization to email@example.com. ASAE will be posting these examples on its Power of A site to give members of Congress a place to visit and see the real-life implications of this policy.
- If your organization would like to conduct Hill visits on this issue, contact us and we will help with arrangements and information.
If you have any questions, contact us at 202.626.2703 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and thank you for your support on this important issue.
Documents of Interest
For the most up-to-date information on the OGE proposed rules and ASAE's response, please visit the Power of A site.
ASAE comments to IRS on group exemptions (07/14/11)
ASAE Letter to then-President-Elect Obama (11/2008)
Guide to the FTC Red Flag Rules for nonprofits by Tate & Tryon (01/2011)
ASAE Board Appproved Position Statements
In This Section
- 2014 Technology Conference & Expo
December 16–17, 2014
- 2015 Great Ideas Conference
March 8 –10, 2015
- Springtime Expo '15
April 9, 2015
- 2015 Marketing, Membership & Communications Conference
June 1–2, 2015
- 2015 Finance, HR & Business Operations Conference
June 4–5, 2015
- 2015 ASAE Annual Meeting & Exposition
August 8–11, 2015